Sore Throat Help! E3 Essential oil Suggestions

Lynette from Soul of Yoga

Sore Throat, Help!  While talking with Lynnette Harvey from the Soul of Yoga center, she was sharing that one of their students was suffering from a sore throat, hoping it wasn’t strep, which lead us into which essential oils and in what application might be best. Thus, since this had been the third conversation specific to sore throats, I thought it might be time to talk about it! So thanks Lynette! And everyone that lives near or passing by Soul of Yoga located in Encinitas, California, Soul of Yoga is a great place to take a yoga class, but you can pick up any E3 essential oil you may need or if you have any questions on which essential oil, how or when to use them, Lynette is a great resource.

A Sore throat is considered to be the irritation of the sensitive mucous membranes at the back of the throat. About 90% of sore throats are viral in origin and the other 10% are bacterial.

(It is advised to get a throat culture to determine if the origins of your sore throat are viral or bacterial and to consult with your health care provider to determine the most appropriate treatment for your condition.)

Symptoms of a Viral Sore Throat: rough or raw sensation in the back of the throat, fever, general malaise, nausea, headache, red and swollen throat and tender lymph nodes in neck and under jaw.  These sore throats usually have a sudden onset and can be the first sign of a cold, flu, tonsillitis or laryngitis. Immediate treatment is recommended to stave off the possibility of a cold.

 

Symptoms of a Sore Throat due to Strep infection: fever, swollen neck glands, red and swollen tonsils, white patches on throat or tonsils, headache.

Streptococcal infection (Strep throat) is a bacterial infection and can be contagious. The danger of strep throat, if left untreated, is that it can lead to other health issues; therefore, it is best to have a throat culture done by your doctor  to rule out this possibility.

E3 Essential Oil Recommendations

Antiviral: Tea Tree, Thyme ct. linalool, Niaouli, Eucalyptus Globulus, & Radiata, Lemon, Bay Laurel, Ravintsara, Basil, Ravensara, Oregano, Lime, Bergamot, Rosewood

Antibacterial: Tea Tree, Oregano, Thyme ct. linalool, Niaouli, Eucalyptus Globulus & Radiata, Lemon, Peppermint, Basil, Pine, Patchouli, Black Pepper, Rose Otto, Ravensara, Rosemary, Clove, Cypress, Lavender, Yuzu, Geranium, Lime, Bergamot, Rosewood

Antibacterial & Antiviral: Tea Tree, Thyme ct. linalool, Niaouli, Lavender, Eucalyptus Globulus & Radiata, Peppermint, Lemon, Rosewood, Lime, Bergamot

Application Suggestions:

Steam inhalation: Inhaling steam vapors may soothe the throat with moisture. Add two drops of chosen essential oil to three drops of German Chamomile (German Chamomile is one of the best anti-inflammatory) to a bowl of hot water. Keeping your eyes closed, lean over the bowl and breathe in deeply, yet gently through your mouth and exhale through your nose. Continue for 30 seconds to fight infection and soothe. May be used three to five times a day, for up to five days.

***Any of the above listed essential oils may be chosen for steam inhalation, with the exception of Oregano, Thyme, Peppermint and Clove. Do not use essential oils of Oregano, Thyme, Peppermint or Clove for steam inhalation.

Direct inhalation: Inhaling the aromatic molecules of essential oils can fight infection and soothe a sore throat. Put 1-2 drops of any of the above listed essential oils on a tissue and inhale the aroma through your mouth and then through your nose. Pause and inhale again, alternating between mouth and nose. Repeat, as needed.

Gargle: Add 1-2 drops of Tea tree and or Lemon to a glass of warm water mix well and gargle at least 3 times a day.

Sore throat rub: Create a blend of essential oils (total 5-10 essential oil drops per batch) mix in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil or all natural lotion; rub on neck, chest and behind ears. ***If choosing Oregano, Clove or Peppermint, do not use more than 1 or 2 drops per batch.

For more information about sore throats including common causes, home care and when to see your health care provider click on this article posted on Pub Med.

Pub Med Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0003544/

Caryn

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.