What to Include in Your Essential Oils Travel Kit
By Caryn Gehlmann
Do you have a entire shelf dedicated to essential oils at home? What do you do when you travel? As much as you’d like to, you can’t take them all with you, especially if you’re flying to your destination. So I wanted to share my list of what to include in your essential oils travel kit.
Many find that certain essential oils help them travel more comfortably – whether it’s jet lag, sleeping in a different environment, eating unfamiliar foods or combating germs on the airplane.
Here are a few singles and blends I like to keep in my essential oil travel kit:
Lavender is such a versatile essential oil, it makes sense to include it in your travel kit. It has analgesic, antidepressant, antibacterial, sedative, deodorant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Another advantage is that lavender is one of the few essential oils that can be used ‘neat’ (undiluted). Here are a few practical suggestions on how to use lavender essential oil on your next vacation:
- To help relieve travel anxiety and restore a sense of calm: Add 1 drop to the palm of your hands, rub together and then cup your hands and inhale aroma, or inhale from bottle.
- To treat bug bites, minor cuts or burns: Apply 1-2 drops of Lavender to the area in need and cover with a band-aid if needed.
- To help you sleep in unfamiliar surroundings: Take 2 tissues and add 1 drop of Lavender to each; tuck 1 tissue in either side of your pillowcase and breathe in the soothing, relaxing aroma all night.
Peppermint is a close second on my list of versatile essential oils. It has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, decongestant, stimulant, antispasmodic, and astringent properties. An added benefit is almost everyone likes the way it smells! Here are a few practical suggestions on how to use peppermint essential oil on your next vacation:
- To calm an upset stomach or nausea: Apply 1-2 drops to a few tissues or cotton balls, place in a plastic baggie and carry with you. Open baggie, pull out one of the tissues and inhale the aroma. Breathe deeply.
- To soothe muscle aches: Mix 1-4 drops of essential oil in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil or lotion and use to massage into sore muscle.
- To combat fatigue: Put 1-3 drops of essential oil on a tissue and inhale the aroma through your nose. Pause and inhale again. (Avoid touching your nose with the tissue.)
e3 Protection Roll-On
It seems like it’s so easy to get sick when traveling, you’re out of your healthy routine and often in closer proximity to people on public transportation. That’s why I like to have e3’s Protection Roll-On in my essential oils travel kit. It’s a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Fractionated Coconut Oil with antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties.
As a germ buster, apply directly on your chest, torso, back of neck, shoulders, and bottom of feet. You can also apply a small amount in the palm of your hands; cup your hands over your nose and inhale the aroma. Or apply to a tissue and tuck into your pillowcase for a gentle nighttime diffusion.
e3 Breathe Easy
Congestion is another common complaint while traveling, whether you’re suffering from a virus or allergies. e3 Breathe easy is a blend of Eucalyptus Citriodora, Eucalyptus Radiata, Eucalyptus Smithii, Peppermint to relieve congestion and support the immune system.
To relieve congestion, mix 1-4 drops of the blend in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil or lotion and apply to upper chest and neck. Or apply 1-2 drops to a tissues and use to inhale the aroma. Breathe deeply. At night apply to a tissue and tuck into your pillowcase.
Do you ever feel the need to be revitalized while traveling. This uplifting and refreshing blend is made up of Bergamot FCF, Grapefruit, Mandarin Red, Orange Sweet.
- To freshen up your hotel room, place a few drops on to several tissues and place around your room to create fresh, uplifting aroma.
- To uplift your mood, apply 1-2 drops to a few tissues or cotton balls, place in a plastic baggie and carry with you. Open baggie, pull one of the tissues out and breathe deeply.
e3 Stress Relief
Getting lost, losing your luggage, sleeping in an unfamiliar environment — there are definitely stressful moments while traveling. So it’s nice to be prepared with something you know that soothes you. You may have a favorite essential oil or blend but many of our customers love e3 Stress Relief and find the blend of Bergamot, Clary Sage, Geranium, Lavender, Mandarin to be calming, uplifting, balancing
To use as a quick stress buster, apply 1-2 drops to a few tissues or cotton balls, place in a plastic baggie and carry with you. Open baggie, pull one of the tissues out and breathe deeply.
These spritzers were originally designed to help make wearing a facemask a more pleasant experience. And they still work for that, however, our customers are now using them in other ways when they travel. They also come in 10 different aromatherapy blends so you can pick your favorite aroma combo.
- Use on the plane or airports where you have to keep your face mask on for many hours.
- On-the-go sanitizer. Since they’re made with 70% organic ethanol alcohol, you can use them as a pocket-size hand sanitizer or spritz and sanitize your pillow and bed linens in a hotel. So small and so handy!
Of course, everyone is different so please remember that the suggestions I share here are general guidelines. Individual sensitivities, desired results, and the characteristics of the essential oil(s) used must all be considered. We’ll be sharing additional travel tips all month so please visit us on Facebook or Instagram to learn more or to share your travel tips with us!
Did you know you can choose 3 of your favorite essential oils or blends for your personal Happy Travel Essential Oil Kit and when you do you also receive a travel-friendly case to carry them. Click here to check out your options and safe travels!